Welcome to my life. It's a whirlwind of kids, chaos, pets, people, family, art, and being home (most of the time; I like to get out here and there). We unschool, so the unexpected is, well, expected...

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Aww Teens ditching school


I was just sitting here doing a wee bit of research on teens ditching school. It's amazing to me how much information is out there about how to get kids to do what the parents want without any regard for the kid.

I don't know why it still amazes me, but it does!

The main points are always to get a teen to comply. I did a google search on "ditching school" and came up with this outrageous article.

It seems though, as I was looking through all those google sites that came up, that this is standard fare. No wonder teens hate adults. I'm so glad that my life isn't like this!

What really struck me about this particular site was the irony about playing games. The author states that button pushing is game play and to recognize it as such, but then goes on to actually encourage parents to use "Aces" up ones sleeve for getting the upper hand of teen misbehavior. As if the basis of relationships are all game play, oh but wait, teens are clearly not people that one must build relationships with, neither are kids, for that matter. They are just subversive beings that must be controlled and must comply with all that we throw at them.

I see it so clearly that control and punishment and manipulation, shame and humiliation are what parents use to get their teens to do what they want them to do. Some parents are more subtle, some are nicer than others, and some teens are less likely to step out of line. Lurking behind all of it is disrespect for one another.

Isn't ditching school a rite of passage? The movie, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" shows just how important living life outside of school and rules is. Ok, well, maybe it's not a rite of passage, but still, is it really so bad to skip school here and there? Is it really a cry for attention, or is it a kid trying with all their might to escape even for just a day, the tedious boredom that school presents them?

Middle school and high school felt like a complete waste of time to me, back then, and even now. I can't seem to get past the fact that our culture is doing such a huge disservice to our teens, with all their amazing insight and energy to share and behold! Why oh why do we stuff them inside boring buildings, listening to boring teachers, doing boring tasks and busy work? The only way to keep them there is to make it mandatory and dangle an end, a degree, good grades, and severe repricussions if they don't comply.

Meanwhile kids die inside everyday from all that pressure! I'm so glad that my children are free, they are living and whole and never ever have to ditch school to feel free!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite line from the article: "While I am running away and having unprotected sex, I am also smoking pot on a regular basis." Yes, dude, if it weren't so funny that you put that in the monologue of a teen mind, I would say that that kind of behavior is a bit larger than a power game. It probably does stem from a lack of relationship with the parents. Jill
p.s. I read your blog regularly, just don't comment very often.