Welcome to my life. It's a whirlwind of kids, chaos, pets, people, family, art, and being home (most of the time; I like to get out here and there). We unschool, so the unexpected is, well, expected...

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Small towns

You know, its weird living in a small town. Everyone knows everyone. I've been staying in a small town for a few months now and I'm considering moving here. Why this town? Well, my great great grandfather invested his life in this town and my parents and sister live on land that was owned by him and passed down from family member to family member.

I'm greatly torn however, because there are things going on in this small town that make me think twice about moving here. There is a tech university here that initially came about as a mining institute. My great great grandfather ended up in this town as a mining engineer. The university has grown and expanded to the point that they have so much control over what goes on here, that if they make a big decision, it impacts the whole town good or bad. They are currently puting together a drop zone for the US air force to practice, whatever they practice.

It is loud and disturbing. I don't like it. This is my inheritance, my family history, this land and the surrounding areas. I have a vested interest in what goes on here. I've been visiting this place for years, my own grandmother came her all the time growing up, her mother grew up here, and her mother was married to Joseph E. Smith, who was the mining engineer. That's not all he did though, he was a photographer and took amazing pictures of the area historically preserving the place that I'm considering a move to. His family was one of a handful of families that made this place grow into existence. The first Hilton Hotel was built here by the Hilton family that was here at the same time.

It's an interesting place with a long history. Before people like my ancestors came here, there were spanish missions established. There is a church here that was here way back then, it has huge thick adobe walls in the old style spanish mission churches that dot the landscape of New Mexico.

I like the fact that this town has grown up with a university, I like small college towns, they offer a lot of cultural experiences that would normally not exist in a small town. What I don't get, is how did it come about that the university has more say in what happens in this town than the people living here in co-existence? I know it provides jobs and helps the economy, but how did they become so bigger than though? Doesn't the town here also help the university grow and be a good place to go to school? It should be a partnership and it isn't.

I'm trying to remain open minded and I really do want to live here, I just don't know if I want to live near a drop zone, with a university that doesn't really care about the city in which they were planted in.

No comments: