Welcome to my life. It's a whirlwind of kids, chaos, pets, people, family, art, and being home (most of the time; I like to get out here and there). We unschool, so the unexpected is, well, expected...

Monday, January 22, 2007

My kids and their friends

Today is a beautiful sunny day. There is still a huge pile of snow where our cave used to be. The girls had a tremendous time smashing it! John and I watched, both secretly wishing that we could've just watched it slowly melt, but hey, snow doesn't come very often and smashing things is sooooo much fun!

Yesterday Margaux spent almost the entire day over at the neighbor girl's house. She's in one of the snow pictures, all in pink. She's one of the more creative players that we've had at our house and her and Margaux just get along tremendously. I couldn't ask for anything better for my girls. They each have a wonderful girl friend living right across the street. I never had that growing up, it was always a hit and miss with wether there were any kids, let alone, nice ones living in our neighborhood.

Chamille's friend is having a hard time in school right now and I feel so bad for her. She sees how free of a life her friend has, and knows that she can't have it. She's tried to convince her dad to homeschool, but he is not willing to do it because he works full time. That's hard. Her dad came over the other day to talk about E. and Chamille. He's never done that before. It turned out to be a very nice conversation. At the core of it, E. listens to Chamille. He was hoping that Chamille could use that influence and encourage E. to go to sleep if she starts text messaging her at midnight. I didn't even know they were doing this. I guess they do it almost every night. I'm okay with it for Chamille because she doesn't have to get up and struggle through classes sleepy. I guess E. is having a hard time staying awake and focused in school, and is suffering in school requirements because of it.

I talked to Chamille about it and she says that she actually has done that before and it only works sometimes. When she sleeps over, Chamille has to insist very strongly to get E. to let her sleep and do the same for herself. In those instances E. will listen.

I loaned the dad the book "how to talk so kids will listen and listen so kids will talk". It came up in conversation, some of the very things this book addresses, so I suggested it and he was very open and receptive to it and actually wanted to read it. It's a good book for parents with kids in school, as it seems all the examples are of kids in school and dealing with homework and chores and the like. The same principles apply even if the kid isn't in school. I really like that book. I wish that I had read it when Chamille was little. A lot of the things mentioned in the book, I discovered on my own or with the help of reading unschooling message boards. Still there were things in there that I learned even after I thought I had it all down! Isn't that just the way it is! We never stop learning and changing and growing!

I took the opportunity to find out if Chamille and E. could go on walks and bike rides without parental supervision. Their family has been pretty strict about this and Chamille has been very much wanting to do these things. He was totally okay with it and actually thought this was a good idea, so long as he knows where they are going to be and when they are getting back. I'm okay with that too. He also said he would love it if Chamille and E. would go over to their house once in a while instead of always being over at ours. I can understand that too. I know why they don't go over there though, and it is mostly because of the older sibling there.

I'm happy for Chamille, she's a great kid! I'm happy for Margaux, she's a great kid too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky to have such cool kids. They are lucky to have you 2!